3 Reasons Why Bath Bombs Are Your Skin Ally
Bath bombs are designed to experience luxury in the comfort of your own tub by creating a spa-like bath environment and changing an ordinary routine into a delightful experience. But are they actually good for your skin?
Here are 3 reasons why your skin will thank you after a bath bomb treat:
1. Bath bombs contain natural exfoliators and healing properties
Bath bombs are mainly a combination of baking soda and citric acid. These are the two crucial ingredients that allow it to create a chemical reaction that produces the iconic fizzing effect when dropped in water.
While these two ingredients are used in bath bomb making for the purpose of achieving an amazing fizz, did you know that this powerful duo serves as natural exfoliators too? Once dissolved in water, the bath bomb releases baking soda and citric acid in a fizzing action which helps loosen damaged layers of skin from your body that are harder to reach. This makes bath bombs an excellent aid in removing blackheads and acne.
What are the skin benefits of Baking Soda and Citric Acid?
Baking soda is an alkaline compound mainly used in baking. It’s such a versatile ingredient with many uses beyond the kitchen like teeth whitener, deodorizer, and cleaner. In skincare formulations, baking soda benefits the skin in the following ways:
- Deodorizes and cleans skin
- Removes dead skin cells
- Soothes redness and inflammation
- Releases toxins
- Aids in the drainage of the lymphatic system
- Soothes itching and stinging from insect bites
Citric acid is an alpha/beta hydroxy acid found in citrus fruits such as lemons and limes. Like baking soda, it also contains a variety of skin benefits and is one of the most popular ingredients found in reputable skincare brands.
- Contains protective antioxidant
- Exfoliates the upper layer of the skin to rid dead cells
- Helps unclog and clean pores
- Helps wipe out age spots, pimple scars, and blemishes
- Reduces appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Helps in softening and smoothing the skin
- Helps evens skin tone
- Maintains the optimum level of pH
2. Bath bombs release emollients and softeners to moisturize and soften your skin
Bath bombs also contain other additives such as emollients, salts, colorants, glitters, petals. Once a bath bomb breaks in water, the chemical reaction enables it to slowly release these other ingredients, transforming your bath into an oasis of color, aroma, and moisturizing oils.
Because bath bombs can be made with different additives, make sure you know what your bath bomb is made of before drawing a bath. Although adding glitters, petals, and gems are aesthetically pleasing, always look out for bath bombs that contain a range of skin-friendly ingredients that are nourishing additions to your bathwater.
Tub Therapy bath bombs are formulated with carefully curated ingredients that do more than just moisturizing and hydration. These crucial ingredients will have you coming out of the tub with glowing, healthy skin:
- CBD Oil
- CBD is such a malleable ingredient in a way that its potential benefits go beyond skincare. In bath bombs, soaps, and other topical formulations, it is a natural plant-derived ingredient that works to fight inflammation and improve skin tone. It is also rich in antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-aging properties that help reduce signs of aging.
- Shea Butter
- Shea butter’s healing properties are almost innumerable. In addition to healing sunburned, cracked, and peeling skin, it regenerates damaged skin cells and makes an excellent moisturizer for dry skin especially during the winter months. Basking in warm water with this emollient creates a softer, plumper, and healthier skin.
- Sunflower Oil
- This non-comedogenic carrier oil is rich in Vitamins A and E to prevent skin from premature aging and helps protect skin from free radicals. It’s non-irritating which makes it safe to use for people of all types of skin including acne-prone. The linoleic acid found in sunflower oil maintains the skin’s natural barrier to help retain moisture and protect it against bacteria.
- Sea Salt
- Sea salt or Vitamin Sea is packed with healing minerals that makes it a miracle ingredient for acne and infections. It helps absorb toxins in the body and promotes the healing process. It’s also a natural exfoliant with anti-bacterial properties that helps slough off dead skin and inhibit the growth of pimple-causing bacteria.
3. Bath Bombs are paraben-free
What are parabens and why is not having paraben a good thing? Parabens are artificial preservatives widely used in beauty products to keep mold and bacteria from developing. While it may sound great to extend your product's shelf life, parabens are actually your body’s arch nemesis.
Scientific studies show that parabens may disrupt hormones in the body, increase risk of reproductive issues, reduce fertility, and increase the risk of skin cancer. Parabens are also known to trigger skin irritation and allergies. Scary stuff!
Although not all bath bombs are made the same way, homemade bath bombs don’t require artificial preservatives at all which makes it a way better option than commercial bubble bath gels that are most likely produced with parabens and other irritating detergents.
As opposed to bubble bath gels that rely on a chemical makeup, the way bath bombs are made just makes them more organic and natural. The everyday ingredients that are used to make Tub Therapy bath bombs are natural preservatives in themselves. Our bath bombs don’t grow molds which are common to see in organic lotions and balms. Although we usually recommend that you use your bath bomb within six months from purchase, the only enemy that can cause your bath bomb to age is humidity. The solution? Just store them in an airtight container for a shell life well over a year.
Don’t think of a bath bomb bath as immersing yourself into a tubful of chemicals. Bath bombs contain natural ingredients and extracts that are nourishing and moisturizing, as well as smelling great! The fizzing action is just an extra treat. There’s just nothing quite like basking in a warm tub of moisturizing emollients and hydrating oils to leave your skin feeling soft and supple. If you want to go the extra mile, treat your skin with a soothing CBD lotion after a warm bath.